Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has announced a £1bn cut to the NHS’s dental service.
In an attempt to make the service more efficient and more efficient for people, the NHS is to invest £1.2bn in the next 12 months to create 10,000 new dentists.
A further £2.7bn is to be spent on “improving the health and wellbeing of the community through innovative dental practices”, including the use of technology to help people avoid unnecessary and harmful dental procedures.
“Dental care is an integral part of a person’s overall health and we are investing in the future of our dental services to give patients more choice, improve the quality of their care and reduce costs,” Hunt said in a statement.
However, the plan also promises to “reduce the need for emergency procedures”, by “reducing the number of visits to specialist teams for dental treatment, with a focus on minimising unnecessary visits to specialists”.
Hunt has previously claimed that the NHS could save £30bn a year by using more innovative dental techniques.
The NHS is also to spend £10bn on “new technologies” and “new tools and techniques to help patients make better choices about their dental health and their dental care”.
The cuts are part of Hunt’s plan to bring the NHS under control by 2020, which includes the introduction of a “dental tax” and a “pilot” of “social care” that would give a discount to patients who have insurance.
Hunt is also aiming to cut the number and cost of NHS services in England by £1 billion by 2020.
He has promised to cut NHS costs by £2bn a week by 2020 in an effort to cut “unnecessary and unnecessary costs”.
In a bid to make its dental service more competitive, Hunt has also proposed the introduction, as part of the NHS pilot, of a universal voucher scheme that would pay for dental care to anyone over the age of 65.
This would include “all primary care, dental and cosmetic dentists and allied health professionals” in England, as well as dentists who perform “complex or incidental procedures”, including on “people with disabilities”.
But the NHS says it has been able to provide a “breath of fresh air” by “removing unnecessary and unnecessary procedures, including in dental, social care and orthopaedic settings”, according to a statement from Hunt’s office.
But it adds: “It is clear that the £10 billion in savings announced today will not be enough to make up for the significant reductions in services over the past three years, and will not result in an improvement in care for the wider population.”
Hunt’s plan will come into force on March 1.